Thursday, September 10, 2009

.:Squash Spaghetti:.

Our friends gave us a squash from their garden, and we really are not the biggest squash eaters. Luckily my friend gave me a tip on how to make spaghetti from squash, so we decided to give it a try last nite.

What you need:
- squash
- olive oil
- salt/pepper
- foil

The first thing you need to do is cut the top off of your squash, and then cut it down the middle. Our squash was really really hard - I had to have my husband cut it! Even he struggled with it!

Then you want to scoop out all of the seeds and guts.

Brush a layer of olive oil over each half.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

I cut my foil to be long so that I would be able to wrap it around my squash halves.

Wrap your foil loosely around your squash halves.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, un-cover your squash and bake it again for 10-15 more minutes. Our squash was really hard, so we popped it in for an extra 8 minutes.

Use a fork to shred your squash into 'noodles'.

Top with sauce and serve!

My husband and I both agreed that there was really no taste to the squash, so it is a much healthier alternative to traditional noodles. The problem I had was that the squash was still pretty crunchy, which I struggled with. (Blame it on those pregnancy hormones I guess!) But if you like your pasta al dente, then this might be perfect for you!

No comments: